Embedded Software Manager
Santa Clara, CA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2023
Who We Are:
At FarmWise, we harness the power of AI, Deep Learning, and Robotics to find solutions to food production challenges to help growers thrive in this new farming era. We work hand-in-hand with growers to understand their constraints, address their priorities, and build innovative products that are changing their lives, and our food supply, for the better.
We’re a diverse team of analytical problem-solvers who are deeply motivated by challenges. We value open communication and a dedication to self-improvement.
If you are interested in working with us in the exciting world of AgTech and bringing to market new technologies that will have a big impact on agriculture, then we look forward to you applying!
About the Role:
As the Engineering Manager, you'll be responsible for the technical leadership, hands-on contribution to software development, solving problems such as sensor selection, embedded and software architecture, planning and controls, and sensor fusion. You’ll provide technical direction and management to build a robust, high-quality product that growers will be excited to use.
- Be a strong communicator with a desire to work in a collaborative, people-first culture
- Lead the team on technical decisions, coach engineers on best practices for software engineering, and guide them on their career growth
- Architect critical embedded and robotic software systems and contribute to the end-to-end system architecture in collaboration with other teams
- Ensure good test coverage and make sure our releases are stable and hardened before deployment
- Review priorities and guide technical choices for their execution
- Hold a high bar for technical quality through code review and process, creating a maintainable code base over time
Desired Skills and Experience:
- A Bachelor’s or higher degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Robotics, or related fields.
- 10+ years of professional software development experience with 7+ years experience leading and managing teams.
- Strong experience in shipping high-quality commercial embedded or robotics software. High proficiency working with C or C++
- Experience using and augmenting automated test systems to verify software, with hardware in the loop
- Success directly coaching, mentoring, and leveling up engineers
- Experience building a team through development of hiring plans, recruiting, hiring decisions, and onboarding.
- Experience maintaining a roadmap, estimating schedules, organizing plans, developing test and qualification test plans
Nice to Haves:
- Experience developing code for Jetson and STM32, proficient with Real Time Operating Systems
- Experience implementing and simulating controls and estimation algorithms for dynamic systems (PID, control loops, etc), state space, localization, robotic actuators, sensor fusion, etc
- Familiarity with ROS 1 or ROS 2 and basic working knowledge of Linear Algebra, Statistics, Kinematics
- Experience writing peripheral drivers, making operating system modifications, and writing software based on an electrical schematic or datasheet
- Experience with networking, concurrency, and distributed systems
What we Offer:
- Competitive salary & equity
- Flexible PTO & 9 company-wide holidays
- Generous Health Benefits (Medical, Dental, Vision), including FSA and HSA options
- Commuter Benefits
- 401(k) with Company Match
- Free catered lunch and plenty of snacks